Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the January 27, 2018 meeting of the Borough of Rockaway Historical Committee Present:

  • Arnold Bernard, President

  • Barbara Koch, Treasurer

  • Beth Witanek, Co-Treasurer

  • Joyce Kanigel, Corresponding and Recording Secretary

  • Jim Allen, Curator

  • Joan Miller

  • Ken Lattig

  • Jean Rueter

  • Tony Gebbia

  • Jim Hurley

  • Bob Edwards

  • Tom Slockbower

  • Ted Hussa

    President Arnold Bernard opened the meeting at 10:05 a.m. A salute to the fag and moment of silence were held. Treasurer's Report

    Treasurer Barbara Koch reported an account balance of $7,411.39 as of the end of 2017. There was a total of $622 in proceeds from the Sts Peter & Paul Church Christmas bazaar (including a check from Father Matthew for for the church's purchase of ornaments). Jim gave Barbara an additional $45 from general sales of ornaments. Joan M brought in $60.85 that she collected from the donation jars at Smith's Tavern and Rockaway Liquors.

    Barbara reimbursed Tom S for $47.04 for museum decorations; and wrote another check for $400 to pay Blast Masters for their work on the Washington School bell.

    Jean R asked if an audit of our fnances had been planned. Jim H suggested having an audit done by a committee of our own members. JIm H, Tony G and Beth volunteered to do this.

    Barbara has prepared some organizational information, e.g. about setting meeting agendas. She will send a copy to Joyce and Joyce will send it out as an attachment prior to our next meeting.

    Corresponding Secretary's Report

    Joyce had an update about the status of the Historic Trolley Trail project. A grant for $5000 has already been awarded by the Highlands Coalition to help pay for installation of a footbridge (where the trail crosses over Fox's Brook). We now have another opportunity for grant of up to $3000. This sponsored by the American Hiking Society and LL Bean. Joyce can send in a application at no charge, and there is no grant match; however the application requires that a 501(c)(3) organization be listed as a project partner for administrative purposes. Joyce asked permission to name the BRHC as a partner on the AHS application. Tony G made a motion to approve, and Tom S seconded. The motion passed unanimously. Arnie noted that the Committee has previously decided to donate $2500 toward the trolley trail project.

    Joyce noted that Robert Nichols had sent his regrets that he could not attend today. Also later we heard from Kate Lynch that she too was ill and could not be present. We hope they will get well soon.

draft minutes of the Borough of Rockaway Historical Committee for January 27, 2018, continued Curator's Report

Jim gave one of our blue history books to the principal at Divine Mercy Academy. The principal has invited us to participate in the school's annual summer fair, where we could sell books, maps, ornaments and mugs. Jim will fnd out more details and the date for the fair.

New and old business -

Washington School bell - Tom S reported that the bell has now been cleaned, and a fnish has been applied. After the sandblasting was done, some interesting markings on the bell became visible. It was cast in 1883 and is a 30" diameter #7 bell, the kind that was made for signaling emergencies such as fres.

Tony G suggested that we look into publishing booklets about Borough history, for example a short history of the frehouse. Everyone likes this idea. Arnie said we could speak to ABC Printing about this potential project.

There was discussion of future designs for ornaments and coffee mugs, for example putting the same image on both mugs and ornaments, and selling them as a package.

Ted Hussa proposed a meeting of the Greater Rockaway Genealogy Society, to be held here in the Community Center on either Saturday August 25 or Saturday September 22 of this year. The topic would be the genealogy of some of our local patriots, such as John Jacob Faesch and Stephen Jackson. Joyce said this sounded good and noted that the Genealogy Society already has permission to hold meetings here on Saturdays following the conclusion of our BRHC meetings. Weather permitting we could also tour the Presbyterian Cemetery, where many patriots are buried.

Bob E told stories about Dr McElroy, who lived in the beautiful house on Main Street that is next door to the Dr John Darbee Jackson house. Bob noted that Dr McElroy made no charge for "baseball injuries." Dr McElroy was married to the former Marion Tuttle. He died from an illness caused by drinking unpasteurized milk.

A motion was made to adjourn, and the meeting was adjourned at 11:27 a.m.

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kanigel, Recording Secretay

 
Minutes of the February 17, 2018 meeting of the Borough of Rockaway Historical Committee

Present:

  • Arnold Bernard, President

  • Sam Saporite, Vice President

  • Barbara Koch, Treasurer

  • Beth Witanek, Co-Treasurer

  • Joyce Kanigel, Corresponding and Recording Secretary

  • Jim Allen, Curator

  • Joan Miller

  • Ken Lattig

  • Jean Rueter

  • Tony Gebbia

  • Jim Hurley

  • Bob Edwards

  • Tom Slockbower

  • Robert Nichols

  • Kate Lynch

    President Arnold Bernard opened the meeting at 10:07 a.m. A salute to the fag and moment of silence were held.

    President's Report
    Arnie said he could open the museum next Saturday and Sunday (4th weekend of the month), but he needs more help from members. Bob E and Ken L volunteered to help staff the museum during open hours.

    Treasurer's Report
    Treasurer Barbara Koch reported an account balance of $10,546.74 as of January 31. She had suggestions for procedures to follow for a planned internal audit of the Committee's funds. Jim H suggested that following reconciliation of checks it should be suffcient for our audit committee to issue a short letter, using letterhead stationery, signing off on the results of the reconciliation process. The audit committee's letter could then be memorialized in the minutes.

    Curator's Report
    Jim A reported that he and Barbara had cleaned out the museum's closet. Barbara sorted and wrapped t-shirts and began reviewing contents of fle cabinets.

    Corresponding Secretary's Report
    Joyce had an update about the status of a grant application for the Historic Trolley Trail project, for which the Historical Committee is a partner. The application to the American Hiking Society's small grant program has now been submitted. The AHS program offers a maximum grant of $3000 for trail development or improvement. Small grant awards will be announced in May 2018.

    Old and New Business

    There was discussion about what size and color of carriage-logo mugs we prefer. The Committee decided to order the 11 oz size, but were not unanimous as to choice of color (plain white, or white-with-black-interior). Tony G suggested we could order some of each. A motion was made to order a dozen of each, to start. The motion passed unanimously.

Jim H noted that the Saint Cecilia's craft fair, scheduled for March 10 from 9am - 2pm, might already be sold out. He provided a phone number to call regarding this event: (973) 886-8023. Jim A will call to fnd out if we can still reserve a table for selling books, ornaments, mugs etc. Barbara said she could help.

Jim A mentioned the local history books that have been published for many nearby towns, such as Denville, Dover and Wharton. He noted that no such book had been published about Rockaway Borough. The books are in a series titled 'Images of America' and are published by the Arcadia Publishing Company. Beth said she had an email address for the publisher, and would try to fnd out more details.

Jim A also noted the existence of certain historic photos of Rockaway Borough that have been offered to us. Sam made a motion for the Committee to purchase the photos. The motion passed. Joyce noted that some of the photos are already in our possession (in digitized format). She offered to check which ones we already own.

There was discussion of the future of the Stephen Jackson house. A local buyer is purchasing the Sacred Heart property, where the Jackson house is located. It is believed that the buyer may want to build apartments on the school part of the site, but this is uncertain because plans have not yet been submitted. If and when the buyer submits plans to the Land Use Board, we will have more information. We hope to be able to work with the buyer to preserve the house.

Sam thanked the Committee for our recent condolences to him and his family.

A motion was made to adjourn, and the meeting was adjourned at 11:47 a.m.

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kanigel, Recording Secretary 
 
 
Minutes of the March 24, 2018 meeting of the Borough of Rockaway Historical Committee

Present:
Arnold Bernard, President

Barbara Koch, Treasurer Jim Allen, Curator
Bob Edwards
Tony Gebbia

Lou Guarinello Pete Hopler
Jim Hurley
Joan Jackson Kate Lynch
Rob Nichols Jean Reuter
Sam Saporite Tom Slockbower Beth Witanek

President’s Report:

President Arnold Bernard called the meeting to order at 10:07 a.m. We stood for the Pledge of Allegiance, and a moment of silence was held following that.

Arnie had with him three samples of our mug designs produced by Tony’s school. We have three dozen of each. The smallest ones (11 oz.) will likely be sold for $ 6.00; the ones with the black handle could possibly be priced at $ 6.50, and the largest ones could be sold for $ 7.00. Tom made a motion, which was seconded, that – largest to smallest size – the mugs be priced at $ 7, $ 6, $ 6, which was approved.

Arnie brought up the possibility of having a combination mug and ornament set for purchase. This year’s design is Sacred Heart. Sam raised the point of an objection to this theme, since Sacred Heart had denied to Jim Allen his request to be allowed entry to ‘tour’ the buildings that are up for sale. Barbara inquired about the lead time required for the ornaments. Sam asked if Sacred Heart was going to be responsive to/supportive of the ornaments, and further inquired if Jim A. could approach them about selling the ornaments (publicizing the availability in their church bulletin, etc.) The decision on Sacred Heart appearing as this year’s theme (and the subsequent ornament order) will be held up until next month, after Jim A. talks to Sacred Heart. A discussion ensued, with regard to the Diocese, and individuals to possibly be contacted. Barbara offered to send a personal note to the Sacred Heart Church contact person.

Jim A. announced that our museum would be open this afternoon between about 1:00 to 3:00, or 1:00 to 4:00. Barbara had produced a sign-up sheet for monthly commitments to ‘museum sit’; at least two people are needed at each time.

Treasurer’s Report:

Treasurer Barbara Koch reported that our bank statement totals $ 10,618.70. On March 18, an audit was completed at Barbara’s house (by Barbara Koch, Tony Gebbia, Jim Hurley, Beth Witanek); our finances

are in order. Barbara outlined and discussed some suggestions for an efficient process with regard to our sales and finances:

1. A cash-handling procedure for our cash box (at the museum and other special functions)
2. Request for reimbursement
3. Emergency request for petty cash (ex. small bills to have on hand for sales) which must be authorized 4. All transactions being recorded in the check register

Jim H. elaborated on the topics covered at the March audit session. We are a 501 3C; Tony found that the threshold law is $ 25,000. With regard to a possible sales tax liability, as long as an organization has a tax exemption number (which we do), there is no problem or issue. We are okay; we are exempt from New Jersey tax because we are self-selling (mugs, ornaments) and not through a vendor.

It was stated that we will remove the word ‘audit’ from the committee name, instead using the term ‘reconciliation.’

The expenditure for the September 1, 2017 order of new checks (amount of 100) cost $ 93.17.

Website updates:

Jim H. discussed with us the status and adjustments that were made with regard to our dormant website. Jim was able to get access to the website; the information that is there was from 2015. Jim updated the news there, added current dates and items for sale. The ‘contact us’ button goes to Jim, Ruben, and Joyce. The domain is licensed through ‘Go Daddy’ at present. Jim learned that Ruben has been covering the associated costs (as his donation to the group), but Ruben does need to inform us of the fee, which he can then state as a donation for his own tax purposes.

It was discussed that an active membership list is needed. It was suggested that this list be expanded to include active/past/in memorium members.

In discussing possible costs for web-hosting, Kate mentioned knowing that small site hosting can be done for about $ 375.00.

There was talk about including a PayPal button for possible donations, but we learned that having this would entail complications with regard to E-commerce, a secured server, and internal procedures with moving money and the subsequent record-keeping. Arnie advised that we should state the 1 East Main Street address for donations, which can be received via check or money order. (For now, we will accept donations, in person and through the mail, in cash, checks, money orders.)

Old and new business:

President Arnie Bernard informed us that the museum is doing well. Museum sitters must make sure to shut the lights, have the shades drawn, and lock the door.

Tom spoke about the 5-foot saw blade that was donated by the Donatoni Family’s nephew, from the former family saw mill. Tom will see to having the blade cleaned, and mentioned that we also have a Donatoni Mill uniform that can be displayed.

Further discussion included the issue of needing the phone at the museum to be working. We ourselves will first look at the issue (internally); the Borough of Rockaway owns the phone line. Arnie asked Tom about procuring a fire extinguisher for the museum.

With regard to the museum being open for the months of July and August, the decision is still up in the air (because of these months traditionally not receiving much attendance.)

Sam made a special announcement and a special presentation of the flag design created and donated to our group by the daughter of Sam’s neighbor, Pete Hopler. Arnie suggested that we display the flag at the museum under the American flag that we fly there. This flag design will also be present in this year’s Memorial Day Parade, included with Pete’s motorcycle and sidecar.

Barbara presented a list of invitees that she had put together for the upcoming Bell Dedication Ceremony. Tom stated that the bell is ready to be installed, and Arnie discussed having a date in May slated for the presentation and dedication. The date of May 19, 2018 will be discussed and decided upon at our next meeting.

It was announced that the upcoming Board of Education meeting is this Tuesday night (March 27, 2018.)

An inquiry was made about getting listings placed on the electronic signage in front of the fire house; Tom advised that Sheila Seifert be contacted for this.

The borough calendar will need to be checked for the upcoming events in the next few months. Tom announced that April 28th will be Environmental Awareness Day in Rockaway.

Further discussion ensued with regard to possible issues and logistics for the Bell Dedication. It was mentioned that parking at Donatoni Field is more readily available on Sundays. It appears that a Sunday (possibly May 20th at 1:00 p.m.) will be the best day for the event.

Barbara expressed the need to publicize information on the bell, and on its history with Washington School. It was agreed that Jean Reuter is our perfect contact person for this information.

The 2018 Museum Military Day will be on Sunday, May 27th, between 1:00 and 4:00 p.m.

Mention was made that the St. Cecelia’s Bazaar (earlier in the month) didn’t appear to be well-attended or populated by too many vendors; Jim A. will inquire about the date of the next one, in November.

Bob Edwards made the announcement that the V.F.W. in Denville (Ford Road) runs a breakfast the first Sunday of each month. The hours are between 8:00 and 11:00 a.m., at a cost of $ 8.00.

Sam conveyed the information that we have support and interest from the Fulton Bank on Route 46: There, they have a display of the ‘wooden houses’ (Rockaway landmark buildings), and their manager is

very receptive to our organization and the local history. Sam had a supply of the manager’s cards, which he handed out.

Mention was made of a thank-you note being sent to Pete Hopler, for the donation of the flag. The meeting was adjourned at 11:33 a.m.    

Respectfully submitted, Elizabeth Witanek

Minutes of the April 29, 2018 meeting of the Borough of Rockaway Historical Committee
Present:
• Arnold Bernard, President
• Sam Saporite, Vice President
• Barbara Koch, Treasurer
• Beth Witanek, Co-Treasurer
• Joyce Kanigel, Corresponding and Recording Secretary
• Jim Allen, Curator
• Joan Miller
• Joan Jackson
• Ken Lattig
• Jean Rueter
• Jim Hurley
• Bob Edwards
• Tom Slockbower
• Kate Lynch
President's Report
Due to scheduling conficts, the April 2018 meeting was held on the 4th Sunday of the month (instead of 4th
Saturday), following notice to current members by email or telephone. President Arnold Bernard opened the
meeting at 11:05 a.m. A salute to the fag and moment of silence were held.
Treasurer's Report
Treasurer Barbara Koch reported an account balance of $10,235.81 as of March 31. Barbara has also updated
the volunteer schedule, which Jim H will post on the website.
Curator's Report
Jim A reported that Ray & Judy's Bookstop has given us a check for the books they have sold there. They now
have no more copies of "Growing Up in Rockaway." There was discussion of whether to print more copies. Jean
said that if the book is to be reprinted, she requests that her name be removed from the chapter that is
designated as her contribution. A motion was passed to order 25 more copies from ABC Printing for $275.
There was discussion of an idea to publish a new book that would focus on Rockaway during the '50s, '60s and
'70s. Jim H noted a Facebook page on a similar topic called "You know you're from Rockaway when ..." He
suggested we reach out to the page's author (Wayne Fisch?) for stories.
Jim A also reported that we had a shortage of picture frames for the museum. A motion was passed to preapprove
him to spend up to $300 for frames.
This year's ornament will feature Sacred Heart Church. The wholesale price has gone up to $720 for 96
ornaments, plus $34 shipping. Barbara suggested raising our price from $9 to $10. The motion passed.
Corresponding Secretary's Report
Joyce reported correspondence from Emmons Cobb, who visited Rockaway last year. Mr. Cobb now lives in New
Hampshire, but his grandparents lived here in the house at the corner of Union and Stickle Streets. He had found a
newspaper article about the restoration of his grandparents' house.

 

 

 
A | A | A